The legal bits
A wedding in a church is a legal ceremony. Most Church of England marriages will require banns to be published before the wedding can take place. The banns are an announcement of your intention to marry and they are read out in church for three consecutive Sundays within the three months before you marry. At St Michael's Church we usually read out the banns of marriage on the first three Sundays of the month before the wedding is to take place.
If you are under 18 years old you will need your parents' consent to marry and by law you can not be married in the UK until you are 16. To be legal the wedding must take place between 8am and 6pm. Weddings usually take place on a Saturday but other days can be considered after discussion with the clergy.
If you have been married before you may be able to get married at St Michael's Church but you will need to speak to a member of the clergy and complete the Church of England form 'Marriage in Church after Divorce' and arrange to meet and speak with a member of the clergy.
In certain circumstances, it is recommended that the licence procedure be used as the legal preliminary rather than the calling of banns. If you think this applies to you then our clergy will talk this through with you and advise the best way to proceed.
So Can We Get Married at St Michael's Church?
If you live within the parish boundaries of the Basingstoke Team Parish* you can get married here.
- at any time lived in the Basingstoke Team Parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- was baptised or prepared for confirmation at any of the Basingstoke Team Parish Churches
- has at any time regularly attended normal church services at one of the Basingstoke Team Parish Churches for a period of at least 6 months.
In addition you can be married at St Michael's Church if the parents or grandparents of either one of you, at any time after you were born:
- has lived in the Basingstoke Team Parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- has regularly attended normal church services at one of the Basingstoke Team Parish Churches for a period of at least 6 months.
You can be married at St Michael's Church if one of your parents or grandparents:
- was married at one of the Basingstoke Team Parish Churches.
*The Basingstoke Team Parish churches are: St Michael's, All Saints, Christ the King and St Peter's.
Until 1 July 2014 St Gabriel’s Church in Popley was within the Basingstoke Team Parish. Connections with this church, as outlined above, up to 1 July 2014, qualify you to be married in any of the Basingstoke Team Parish churches.
The office is open on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday between 10am and 2pm and by appointment only on Saturday mornings.