The legal bits
A wedding in church is a legal ceremony. Most Church of England marriages will require banns to be published before the wedding can take place. The banns are an announcement of your intention to marry and they are read out in church for three Sundays in the three months before you marry. At St Michael's Church we usually read out the banns of marriage on the first three Sundays of the month before the wedding is to take place.
If you are under 18 years old you will need your parents' consent to marry and by law you can not be married in the UK until you are 16.To be legal the wedding must take place between 8am and 6pm. Weddings usually take place on a Saturday but they can take place on any day.
If you have been married before you may be able to get married at St Michael's Church but you will need to speak to a member of the clergy and complete our form 'Marriage in Church after Divorce.'
If there is not enough time for the banns to be read before the marriage is due to take place, or in the case of the marriage of people whose nationality is not British, or if one or both of you do not live in England, it is recommended that the Licence procedure be used rather than banns. If you think this applies to you then our clergy will talk this through with you and work out whether a Common Licence, Special Licence or Archbishop's Licence is required.
So Can We Get Married at St Michael's Church?
If you live within the parish boudaries of the Basingstoke Team Parish* you can get married here.
- at any time lived in the Basingstoke Team Parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- was baptised or prepared for confirmation at any of the Basingstoke Team Parish Churches
- has at any time regularly gone to normal church services at one of the BasingstokeTeam Parish Churches for a period of at least 6 months.
In addition you can be married at St Michael's Church if one of your parents, at any time after you were born:
- has lived in the Basingstoke Team Parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- has regularly gone to normal church services at one of the Basingstoke Team Parish Churches for a period of at least 6 months.
You can be married at St Michael's Church if one of your parents or grandparents:
- was married at one of the Basingstoke Team Parish Churches.
*The Basingstoke Team Parish churches are: St Michael's, All Saints, Christ the King and St Peter's.
We like doing weddings so call our administrator is Shelagh Kavenagh to find out more on 01256 329528 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The office is open on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday between 10am and 2pm and by appointment only on Saturday mornings.