History of the Church
All Saints' was built during World War One taking just two years to build, and costing £17,168. The church was paid for by a wealthy clergyman living nearby, The Revd Alexander Titley Hall, and opened in 1917. The church was designed by Temple Moore a well known architect who usually tried to make his churches look as if they were older than they really were, ideally dating back to the Middle Ages. All Saints' is built of brick, but the outside is faced entirely in Chilmark stone. The architectural style could be described as late Gothic Revival.
From the outside All Saints' looks strong, tall, and most people think looks bigger than it really is. Moore often used clever visual tricks to make things look bigger, older, further away, or more expensive than they really were.
In keeping with Gothic fashion and medieval practice the chancel and sanctuary, the parts closest to the High Altar, are more decorated, with painted ceilings, richly decorated reredos and highly detailed stained glass. The contrast with the west end of the church, around the font, is striking but works well. Here the limestone floors, Chilmark stone walls, and the golden light from the west window make for plainer, cleaner lines.